Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

peripatetics - Existentialist groupie

I've been something of an Existentialist groupie since high school.  So, no surprise, on a visit to Paris I did a bit of a SartreBeauvoir pilgrimage.  I visited a couple of their hang-outs, Les Deux Magots and Café de Flore, their gravesite in Cimetiere Montparnasse, also walked by Hotel La Louisiane, where Sartre and Beauvoir once lived.

I discovered Albert Camus’ and Jean-Paul Sartre’s writing my senior year in high school.  The themes of absurdity, choice, freedom, and responsibility really pulled me, one of those revelatory type of discoveries about ways of looking at life and existence.  I call myself a groupie because I was and am sucked into the personalities of Camus and Sartre (at least the written version); I'm as much fascinated by their lives as their ideas (arguably, these are inextricable).
Cafe de Flore.  
Yes, I even kept the sugar wrapper.
Les Deux Magots.  Now, of course, Cafe de Flore and Les Deux Magots are more  for tourists like me rather than philosophers and literary luminaries.
Obligatory sugar wrapper.
Place Sartre-Beauvoir.  I had to take a picture of the street sign because it had their name on it.
Beauvoir and Sartre's grave.
Does enchantment pour
Out of every door?
No, it's just on the street where you live.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!